Develop, manage, and maintain reliable accounting information and reporting on income, expenses, assets, liabilities, and capital for management. Reconcile General Ledger and bank accounts. Ensure that reports, accounts, systems, policies and practices adhere to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: (a summary of general responsibilities, but not limited to)
- Oversee and manage accounting and bookkeeping functions to include AP, AR, budgets, cash flow, cost management, credit and collections, financial analysis, financial reporting and recordkeeping, GL, investments, payroll, fixed assets and taxes.
- Develop, implement and evaluate policies and procedures for the accounting/operations department and insure that policies and procedures reflect current regulations, and are communicated to and implemented by subordinates.
- Reconcile revenue reports, unbilled variances, special projects, payroll and timesheet reports, and claims disbursements.
- Prepare daily balance sheet including (loan and share) analysis, daily cash position analysis, assuring/monitoring correspondent accounts and determining cash needs.
- Responsible for general ledger reconciliations, analysis of financial accounts, and preparation of journal entries. Provide end-of-month close and produce monthly financial statements. Prepare and assist with incurred cost and provisional rate reports as necessary.
- Ensure that all activities of the department are in accordance with GAAP and that the accounting records are maintained accurately and in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Monitor cost control activities. Approve and implement cost control strategies on an as needed basis.
- Maintain a highly motivated, well trained staff, evaluating the performance of the staff on a regular basis. Resolve employee questions and conflicts.
- Develop and implement processes to streamline credit union accounting procedures.
- Develop and maintain complex computer-based analyses and reports of credit union accounting records on a regular basis.
- Provides regular reports to management of all online accounting activities for the credit union’s accounting department.
- Monitor fixed-asset management.
- Conduct special accounting studies, analyses, and special projects as requested by management.
- Prepares financial statements and reports on a regular basis.
- Prepare various financial, regulatory, and special reports on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis.
- Provides data for preparation of the Credit Union’s tax returns.
- Completes various reports for monthly Board Meetings.
- Completes the Asset Liability Report for the Asset/Liability Management meetings.
- Completes the Call Report for the NCUA and State.
- Maintains charge-off and recovery accounting records and completes quarterly reports.
- Assist and coordinate external auditors in their exams, internal audit, compliance audit, ACH audits, and Risk assessments.
- Work with Loan Review staff to make recommendations for efficiencies, and streamlining of loan processes while maintaining a sound control environment.
- Monitor, maintain and recommend effective internal controls for the organization.
- Provides leadership, assistance, direction, and supervision to personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, communication, coaching, and recognition; conducts staff meetings as required.
- Ensures that personnel are well trained, effective, and optimally used; identifies training needs and develops and implements appropriate training programs; conducts training sessions and cross-trains as appropriate.
- Tracks progress and conducts performance appraisals using effective coaching and recognition techniques; documents on a consistent basis.
- Reviews and monitors the work of department personnel and provides suggestions and support as necessary.
- To remain compliant with applicable statutes and regulations, including but not limited to BSA, OFAC and Anti-Money Laundering.
- Provides member and staff support as described on RBCU’s Mission Statement.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelors or higher Degree in Accounting, or equivalent.
- CPA or CMA certificates preferred.
- Complete Supervisor I – Fundamentals of Leadership course provided by MRA/Trusight within six (6) months of hire/becoming a supervisor.
- 5 years or more of experience in financial service industry, operations, or accounting.
- 5 years or more of supervisory experience.
- Credit Union experience preferred.
- Advance education in Credit Union management is desired.
Other Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be bondable and honest.
- Understand OSI system.
- Ability to read and interpret forms, account statements, legal documents, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to concentrate, use reasoning, and analyze situations. The continuous need to be very alert to the member’s needs, be resourceful, solve problems and use writing ability.
- Ability and desire to attend appropriate educational conferences and seminars related to the accounting responsibilities.
- Ability to manage staff and projects efficiently.
- Proficiently operate a computer. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows operating system.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English. Bi-lingual skills helpful.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- 10-Key Calculator
MENTAL & PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Able to manage multiple requests at the same time.
- Able to maintain a professional demeanor in stressful circumstances.
- The employee must be able to lift 35 pounds.
- The employee is regularly required to sit or stand for extended periods; use their hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must be able to read from a computer screen and enter data with the use of a keyboard.
- Stress varies depending on work flow from high to low.
- Some travel between offices may be require
RBCU offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
Medical, Dental, Life, STD, LTD, PTO, 401(k)/Retirement Plan and Paid holidays.
RBCU is an EOE/Minorities, Women, Veterans, Disabilities. (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)